Stuffed & baked ricotta shells
These great-looking shells make a good alternative to stuffed cannelloni and look stylish in the dish
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1x400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 20 (about 200g) giant pasta shells
- 500g courgettes topped, tailed and grated
- ½ lemon , zested
- 100g ricotta
- 50g parmesan , grated
Difficulty and servingsServes 2
Preparation and cooking timesPrep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add ½ the garlic, cook for a minute then add tomatoes. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Cook the giant shells until almost tender. You want to slightly undercook them as you'll be baking them again later. Drain, rinse under cold water then drain completely.
- Heat another tbsp of oil in a large frying pan, add the rest of the garlic and the courgettes. It looks like a huge amount of courgette at the start, but it really wilts down. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the courgettes have reduced and all the liquid has cooked off. Cool then stir in the ricotta and zest and half the parmesan. Season well.
- Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Spoon the tomato sauce into the bottom of a shallow ovenproof baking dish. Stuff a spoonful of courgette mix into each shell then sit in the sauce in rows. Sprinkle over the rest of the parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and golden.