Saturday 23 March 2013

Is doggy healing a miracle cure or barking mad?

MY DOG Tilly, a six-year-old Cavalier King Charles spaniel, sprained her back. She was twisting to scratch an ear with her back leg and yelped. The pain made her so stiff that she couldn’t walk up the stairs and she looked very put out.

HANDS-ON-HOUNDS-Monica-with-Tilly HANDS ON HOUNDS: Monica with Tilly
The first port of call was my vet who prescribed anti-infl ammatory drugs but I wondered if there were other ways I could help her recovery. I hated seeing her so down in the dumps.

When I searched for “natural healthcare for dogs” on the internet thousands of hits came up. I was amazed to discover a host of complementary therapies for pets from acupuncture to hydrotherapy.

I liked the sound of reiki: a form of hands-on healing. It’s noninvasive so if it turned out to be mumbo jumbo it wouldn’t do my pooch any harm.

I found a practitioner in Wetherby, North Yorkshire, just 45 minutes from my home in Huddersfield.

Elaine Downs has been healing humans and animals with reiki for 11 years. On the phone she asked me what had happened to Tilly, when I first noticed it and checked that I’d already taken my dog to the vet.
Her no-nonsense approach filled me with confidence so I booked a consultation, which costs £40 for an hour.

I was nervous on the day of the session. Tilly is a lively dog and I wondered if she’d be able to sit still for the healing.

“Don’t worry, Tilly will take as little or as much reiki as she needs,” said Elaine. “Dogs let you know when they’ve had enough healing.” Before she started Elaine, 54, explained how the treatment would work. She said: “Reiki means ‘universal life force energy’ and this energy is all around us.

Reiki can be channelled by any trained person to heal any living thing, people, animals and plants.” ELAINE said she preferred to work in the animal’s natural surroundings (their home, stable and so on) because it helps them to relax more easily although she can work remotely using a photograph to tune into the animal’s energy. So far she’s treated dogs, horses, cats and chickens.

“Reiki is never a substitute for veterinary care,” she said firmly. “If an animal appears unwell you should contact your vet. However reiki can work in conjunction with veterinary treatment.”
Tilly and dog therapist ElaineTilly the dog in session with Elaine
If an animal appears unwell you should contact your vet. However reiki can work in conjunction with veterinary treatment.
Elaine Downs
Ready to start the session Elaine sat with Tilly and placed one hand on her back. Tilly sat in the same position for a few minutes and then turned around so Elaine’s hand was touching the opposite side of her back. “Is that more comfortable for you?” Elaine said to Tilly. Tilly shut her eyes. I couldn’t believe she was so calm. Usually if someone sits on the fl oor with Tilly she sees it as an invitation to play and finds a toy but not today.
After a few minutes in this position Tilly fl opped down on her side and Elaine placed her hand on the dog’s rump. Tilly let out a snort of contentment and licked her lips. “She’s releasing the tension in her body,” explained Elaine.
I asked Elaine if she could pick up anything about Tilly’s back injury. Elaine told me she felt Tilly had done the damage by twisting, which was spot on. Elaine explained how animals, like humans, have meridian lines all over their bodies which act as channels for the universal energy. When any of these channels are blocked it can indicate a health problem.

“The block in her back is shifting,” said Elaine after 25 minutes. “I can feel the area warming up. I’m also picking up psychically that she’s a very loving dog.”

I had to smile because Tilly is a bundle of love. You can feel it radiating from her. “She’s a cutie although I’m picking up that she can be a bit of a madam at times but she knows when to behave,” added Elaine laughing.
I was shocked because this was true too. My nickname for her is Princess Tilly because she prefers fresh chicken and walks around dirty puddles rather than through them. She is also impeccably behaved in public.
Elaine rested her hand on Tilly’s back in the same spot for 15 minutes. She was so deeply relaxed that when my partner Chris came home from work she didn’t dash to greet him at the door, which was a first. After the session Tilly sat up and had a deep stretch. She appeared to be less stiff and she certainly enjoyed the healing. A few weeks on and Tilly is doing really well. She can climb the stairs with no problems and is running about in the park again.
I’m sure the session helped and if she experienced another health problem I wouldn’t hesitate to give her a boost with some complementary therapy, as well as taking her to the vet, of course.
To book a session with Elaine Downs visit animalcommunication.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment