Monday 29 July 2013

~ If I could Live Life Over ~

If I could live this life over,
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner
even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten popcorn in the "good" living room
and worried much less about the dirt, when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble on about his youth. I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day, because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage. I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life. I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern, if I weren't there for a day. I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, or it wouldn't show soil or because it was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment...realizing that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist nature in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. I need you go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been a lot more "I love you's" and more "I'm sorry's."

But mostly, if I were given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and "really" see it...live it...and never give it back.

~ written by Erma Bombeck shortly before she passed away.


·

No comments:

Post a Comment