Saturday 11 July 2015

My Wife Left Me With Nothing But A Dog, So I Started This Fun Photo Series

On my thirtieth birthday, my wife left me. She took her cookware, furniture, photos, her decorations. She left me alone in an empty all-white apartment. The only thing she didn’t take was my bull terrier, whom she’d named after her favorite shoe designer: Jimmy Choo. With only Jimmy for company, I found inspiration in my blank walls and my best friend and started snapping photos of Jimmy Choo as he trotted and cavorted around the house in glee. When Jimmy collapsed in happy exhaustion next to the white wall, I grabbed a marker and drew a new world around his ginger-eared pup. Suddenly, I felt his long-dormant inspiration for drawing, for art, for life—returning.

I created a series of fun, tongue-in-cheek illustrations, portraying my bull terrier dreaming of shoes, relaxing on a sofa with a martini by his side or turning canine DJ on the decks. Set against a matte white background, the illustrations are humorous and eye-catching juxtaposed with bright pops of iridescent color in hot pink, copper and electric blue. I added the best pictures of Jimmy to one book, which is coming on October.
More info: Instagram | Amazon

Instagram celebrity dog tapped for Jimmy Choo collection

Vivian Chen
So what’s the winning formula to social media stardom for your cutest furry, four-legged friend? To begin with, coin a catchy name for it.
Brazilian illustrator Rafael Mantesso named his English bull terrier Jimmy Choo. His humorous juxtaposition of photography and illustrations has made Jimmy a social media sensation, counting more than 237,000 fans on Instagram.
Guess what that led him to? Luxury fashion maison Jimmy Choo collaborated with Mantesso to launch a pre-fall collection which includes bags, wallets and dog collars featuring his fun and quirky illustrations. The collection will be available at Jimmy Choo boutiques worldwide on May 15th. 
STYLE chatted with Mantesso about the project and much more. We’ve also caught Jimmy reading a latest copy of STYLE.
Q&A with Rafael Mantesso
Can you tell us what makes Jimmy tick? 
Sleeping, eating and playing. He is so much fun to be around with.
What inspired you to start the art project of juxtaposing illustration with photography?
I love all forms of art ... painting, drawing, photography. Illustration is such a great method as it allows for complete freedom of expression. The sketches are authentic without being too serious. The first photograph with Jimmy was a complete accident though. Following my divorce I found myself in an empty apartment and was trying to fill the void. Jimmy positioned himself near one of my sketches and I just thought it was cute so I took a photograph. Everything developed from there and we have been discovering what else we can do together.
How did Jimmy enjoy the fashion shoot for the capsule collection?
He loves [being taken photographs of] and being the centre of attention. There are definitely challenges and sometimes Jimmy is restless but we are a team and we understand each other’s moods and how to get the best from each other. I take him for a walk twice a day and always do the shoots after the walk when he is feeling a little tired.
What has been most challenging part for Jimmy the dog to work with Jimmy Choo the luxury maison?
Working with a luxury brand, the expectations and attention to detail are incredibly high. Trying to get the best from Jimmy in order to meet this demand was the most challenging part. It is always going to be tricky working with animals, and maintaining Jimmy’s attention levels in order to get the best results was difficult at times. I also wanted to ensure that I captured the spirit of the brand while maintaining mine and Jimmy’s personality. Achieving this balance was demanding.
Can you share with us the perfect formula to groom a star pet?
Jimmy and I are best friends. I have given him my heart and he has given me his. Because of this great companionship we are always having fun together and creating silly moments. You just need to stay alert and capture these moments. I now always have my camera on me just in case Jimmy strikes a great pose that I need to photograph.


No comments:

Post a Comment