Friday 18 September 2015

Letting Grief In. {Poem}

Via on Sep 5, 2015

martin/flickr

Rain drums on shuttered windows, a melancholy rhythm to our sorrow.

The sky weeps with us in desolate abandon, screaming to a Universe that will not hear us.
We are drowning in the hollow void of you, but we don’t fight it.
Not anymore.
I am unforgiving of the cruel world marching ever on,
As though you had not vanished from it.
Our world has ended.

The thought of you gone is too big to grasp at first.
We push it away, but it is persistent, nagging.
It won’t be denied.
It creeps slowly, mist stealing through winter frost, chilling our aching souls.
We howl when it caresses us with icy fingers, embracing us with pain.
It hurts to breathe without you.
We long to hold each other high above the suffocating truth, to save each other.
But grief is just too heavy.

I see you everywhere.
In dreams you walk with me, through dappled forests and rolling green hills.
The magic of the world is still yours to explore.
We joke and play, your laughter dancing in my head, infectious.
Your eyes twinkle with bright mischief as you relay one of your many adventures.
Death is the greatest of them all.
Waking agony replaces the gentle oblivion of sleep.
I am alone again.

I pray that it is all a mistake; that you were only hurt, not gone.
Your closed eyes are dark doors that I cannot unlock.
Death holds the key, unrelenting in the face of my wretched tears.
I talk to you but I know that you are no longer there; I cannot reach you.
Please open your eyes.
Please Let me in.


No comments:

Post a Comment