Sunday 6 March 2016

12 Literary Mothers who Rock

It’s Mothering Sunday in the UK today, so to celebrate I thought we’d celebrate the best fictional mums out there! The mothers from books give us all guidance, I know I’d certainly send Marmee Walsh from Little Women a Mother’s Day card if I could, so they definitely deserve this celebration.
Yesterday I asked on our Facebook page who your favourite literary mother is and around 200 of you replied. In all over 40 fictional mothers were nominated but when I added up the votes there was a very clear winner (and what a kick-ass mum she is). I included every mother who received more than one vote, and so here are your 12 favourite literary mothers.

Molly Weasley – Harry Potter series (65 votes)

harrypotter-400x284
“Not my daughter, you bitch!” Who could fail to love the protective nature of Molly Weasley and the homely hug that is the Burrow?

Marmee/Mrs March – Little Women (23 votes)

littlewomen
So many of us turned to Marmee for advice as children, it’s little wonder that we remember as adults what a wonderful mother she is.

Mrs Bennett – Pride and Prejudice (8 votes)

Pride and Prejudice
Fierce and determined to mould her daughters for success, Mrs Bennett wouldn’t have been my first choice but I can see how she made third place, and here are the rest of your selections, taking the total to twelve.

Marilla Cuthbert – Anne of Green Gables (5 votes)

Lily Potter – Harry Potter series (3 votes)

Laila – A Thousand Splendid Suns (3 votes)

Fantine – Les Miserables (3 votes)

Claire Fraser – Outlander (2 votes)

Ma Joad – Grapes of Wrath (2 votes)

Rosa Hubermann – The Book Thief (2 votes)

Marian – A Thousand Splendid Suns

Nanny Ogg – Discworld series (2 votes)


No comments:

Post a Comment